Search This Blog

Thursday 14 February 2013

Letter to my MEP's in the Northwest

The EU are debating the WHO Tobacco Control directives on the 25th of this month (February)  I don't smoke. But I do use electronic cigarettes.

The WHO directive, though, is also about electronic cigarettes, not banning electronic cigarettes outright, but wants the nicotine content of electronic cigarette e liquid to be set at 4mg of nicotine and become medical devices, which in effect bans them as they are used now. This will seriously affect the electronic cigarette community who are now almost a million in the UK of which I am one.

I smoked for 50 years and the more we became marginalised by legislation and public opinion was turned against smokers, the more determined I became never to give up smoking. In 2011 I started "vaping" ie. using an electronic device, and the habit of smoking simply fell away from me - a miracle! Since then, I have promoted vaping as a solution for devoted smokers like me to change to a less harmful habit. My life has changed. I am physically better. The dentist is impressed. The doctor is impressed. My family is impressed. I am impressed.

The recommendations from the EU will be taken on by our Parliament (because they have to). WHO is working to the beat of Tobacco Control's drum and the huge investment that Drug Companies have made to profit from Patches, Gums, Sprays to stop people smoking. The fact is that electronic cigarettes are far more successful in getting people to quit entirely or - like me - to continue with nicotine usage in a less harmful manner.

I hope you find time to investigate the phenomenon of elecronic "vaping" that is leading to smoking reduction in millions of people worldwide. They have done this, and are doing it, all by themselves without force, without any lobby group pushing them or manipulation from the State.

It is important that electronic Cigarettes are NOT made medical devices, or legislated against in anyway but by the "lightest touch" otherwise those lives that are being saved, will be lost - mine included.

If you know about "vaping" - properly know - you will become an empowered spokesperson for me. I will need to rely on you. You are my voice.

Thank you,

Yours sincerely,

3 comments:

  1. The only way I would support legislation against vaping, would be if the govt also legislated against all tobacco products, and alcohol.

    Vaping has improved my health hugely and, for the first time, I feel that I have a real chance of giving up smoking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trouble is - if the Govt legislated against all tobacco products and alcohol it would simply go underground. People have been drinking and smoking since we became people! Do you think love or sex would stop if the Govt legislated against it? We need less legislation, not more. that's my opinion. In my lifetime the "war on drugs" has produced a massively profitable industry - and there are more drugs now - not less!

      I think it's wonderful that vaping is helping you - everyone should have that chance in the future too.

      Delete
  2. Well said. I'm from the North West and must send the MEP an email. I've been vaping now for almost 2 months after 30 years smoking. It's hard to explain but the day I starting vaping cigarettes became meaningless. Now after 2 months I can smell and taste. I have no early morning cough and I can run again with my 4 year old son.

    I vape 18mg but I fear if eliquid is restricted to 5mg I will return to smoking.

    ReplyDelete